Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You said you'd lend me anything. I think I'll have your company.

They may talk of a comet, or a burning mountain, or some such bagatelle;
but to me a modest woman, dressed out in all her finery, 
is the most tremendous object of the whole creation. 
~Oliver Goldsmith
I have an obsession with baby pink and peach colored dresses and I keep a very gay collection in my closet. I love how each morning, after a nice warm shower, I open my closet and find them just hanging there next to my flower crowns, greeting me good morning. They make me think of summer, sand castles, strawberry milk and cotton candy. They make me so freaking happy. I hardly ever bring them out, though. Some of them I’ve never even used. But you know a night is special when the dress I’m wearing is one from my collection. I picked out one of my favorites for Raf’s ball, Le Grande Soiree. It was peach (of course) and flowy. Something you’d see worn by a fairy. You’ll see pictures as you read through this entry. But before you check out the photos, read the next paragraph to know how Ball was according to my date! Raf will tell you all about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if he calls me crazy. Ha ha ha. Oh! Before anything, here's a picture of us! Just in case you were wondering if we looked weird as Ball dates since I just turned 20 and he's 17. Actually, I was still 19 when we went to the Ball, so I wasn't THAT much older. Try not to judge me, please. Thank you.

Are you feeling awkward too? Meet my date!
His name's Raf and he's 3 years younger than me. 
Now isn't that funny? But guess what? I don't care!!!
Hahahahaha!!


Coinlaundrygirl’s Evening Out With Your Boy
by Raf

In the spirit of teenage awkwardness and the pseudo-realism that has veiled itself over my life, I will argue (regardless of how wrong I may be) that John Hughes*, God rest his soul, is up in Heaven directing life for God right now, specifically the night of my Graduation Ball.

*Director of such hit films as “The Breakfast Club”, “Sixteen Candles”, “Some Kind Of Wonderful”, and “Pretty In Pink”

On March 12, THE Ateneo de Manila High School held it’s annual Graduation Ball. Being a student of The Ateneo High School, I was expected to attend, or at the very least pay an (in my honest opinion) exorbitant fee for the Ball. So naturally, this created a plot element in so many eighties movies it could be considered the plot of the eighties: the acquisition of a date. Luckily for me, I was able to find one in the form of the Coinlaundrygirl herself, Pauline, who (perhaps only in my mind) has drawn comparisons to Molly Ringwald, only not as gangly or awkward.

I did my very best to be a good date for Pauline (even though, I picked her up and brought her home late). Not only that, but I also baked cookies with my mother (available at Blue Kitchen, look for Cookie Jar products) for her parents. I tried my very best not to embarrass her with my dancing (which really is awesome for someone with as many Caucasian alleles as me), but failed miserably. Sorry, Pauline.

Originally, I wanted to wear a Barong to Ball. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to. My second idea was to wear a light blue tuxedo with a very, very ruffled shirt in order to keep in theme with eighties movie clichés. Unfortunately, that didn’t pan out either. I ended up wearing something completely unremarkable. Pauline, on the other hand, was pretty in peach. (I’d like very much to expound on the details of how Pauline dressed for ball, but I don’t know much about clothes, so I really wouldn’t know what to say. I will say, however, that she looked very nice but I forgot to tell her so.)

The evening went along like a John Hughes movie would, randomly in a funny, heartwarming sort of way (it even had the subplot of the geeky guy trying to get the girl). I picked Pauline up and brought her to a decorated high school gym. We ate dinner and had our picture taken several times (including one of only our heads sticking out of opposite sides of the frame).

Overall, the night was very fun, frequently random and generally strange (some of the more surprising appearances are Vj Alvey, Jon Bada and Ms. Tindugan). Thanks for agreeing to spend it with me, Pauline.



My reply: Thanks for taking me to ball, Raf! Thank you also for what you had written.. You will be graded for that. Haha! We loved the chocolate chip cookies, too! They're so yummy. My dad wouldn't share with us even if he's diabetic.


 Here are some pictures! Notice the dress.. Hihi.

This is how Raf asked me to Ball
We're awkward people
This is Nikki.

Turns out I wasn't the only college girl there. Hi, Milka!.


Aleks! <3.


Hello, Alvey.

Hi. I feel old.

The girls couldn't wait for the after party


Hi Vern!


The Pemdance




Bullies

Meet Isabel. My sister from another mister! Oh my.


Meet Mariel. She's my sweetest apprentice! <3

I think he's thinking "My date's so goddamn perky"

The After-Party starts here
This is what Raf gets for asking a college girl to ball

Gabbie and Anna went to meet us in Opium!




Shampoo time!
Weirdos



Mmmm...,
Gabbieee!!!!
Bye!
I'll be posting our Ball photos once I get them. One's really funny! It was basically just space, and our heads sticking out from the ends of the frame. I can't wait for Raf to show his mother.

8 comments:

  1. angas nung HMMMM pic. dapat may highlighted circle yung SUPER hand sa bottom left for emphasis eh. =)))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your date is so awkward. And Handsome. :>:>

    ReplyDelete
  3. BWAHAHAHA I love the comment about the HMMMM picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys, please write your names.. It's kinda sad when you're all listed as Anonymous. </3 :( Hahaha and omg the one who said my date is awkward and handsome... I THINK YOU'RE MY DATE. RAF, IS THAT YOU? HAHAHA well you call yourself adorable so it must be you...

    HMMMMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmygod. You knew. Really. HAHAHAHA.

    -Raf

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA SO CUTE. looked like fun!!! and yes, i felt awkward looking at the awkwardness but its a comforting type of awkwardness! :))-gab

    ReplyDelete
  7. A comforting kind of awkwardness. I've never felt that before!!!! Hahahahaha :))

    ReplyDelete